STEVES WORLD TOUR 2006|2007|2008 : EUROPE EDITION

Friday, July 28, 2006

Stopover in Moscow


Доброе день (Good day!)

An unfriendly connection between my flight from Sakhalin Island to Moscow and my flight to Amsterdam left me with a night and day to explore Moscow. I got put up in a very nice hotel, and after checking in, I shook off the jet lag that was beginning to take hold, and hit the street towards Red Square. It was a long walk, but a nice stroll along Arbat Rd, a pedestrian street lined with souvenir shops, overpriced restaurants and the occasional street performer.

When I finally made it to the Kremlin, I was impressed. A giant red coloured wall and various towers present a very obvious reminder you are in Russia. A short walk further and I hit Red Square, with the breathtakingly colourful St Basil's Catherdral at the far end. This massive square is an awe inspiring site. Its crammed full of tourists, all snapping away at the wonderful architecture of the Catherdral, Kremlin, GUM department store, and Lenin's mausoleum; its an eyeful.


A definite highlight was St Basil's Catherdral, an array of colours and circus tent style architecture. It is uniquely Russia, and a pleasure to tour inside. Original interior, it is dimly lit tunnels and rooms with colourful paintings on the walls. And, oddly they have souvenir stalls inside, which actually were a fair bit cheaper than the surrounding streets. I guess they feel a bit uncomfortable ripping off the tourists in a house of god?

The next day, after a sleep in and some relaxation in the spa and sauna at the hotel (much deserved though!), I headed towards Red Square again to visit Lenin's Mausoleum, where Lenin's body is preserved and on display for the throngs of tourists. However to my disappointment, when I arrived I was greeted by a very long line that had no chance of getting me in before I due at the airport. So instead, I took some more photos around the square, and slowly made my way back to Arbat road for some lunch before heading back to the airport.

Finally, heading home, next stop Holland....

Comrade Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home