STEVES WORLD TOUR 2006|2007|2008 : EUROPE EDITION

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Is this the end of the earth?


No, but I think I could just about see the edge.

Wow, what a journey. I don’t think there could be many other spots on this planet that take this long to reach. It took me the good part of 3 days, on 3 forms of transport crossing 9 time zones to get from the door of my apartment to the gates of the OPF site. And I was shattered.

To explain, I was starting a new project-engineering job at the Onshore Processing Facility (OPF) for Sakhalin Energy in the far north of the Russian island of Sakhalin. And getting there was not straightforward. It took 17 hours of flying to Yuzhno, the capital of Sakhalin, then a 15 hour overnight train to the northern town of Nogliki, then a 3 hour off-road drive to the OPF.

The train ride was kinda fun. But in the way you’d describe a trip across the Nullabour Plain. Interesting the first time, but you don’t enjoy it much the second time. Let alone the many more times I will have to make this journey. I was lucky to get a cabin to myself, which proved comfortable enough. Dinner was a scary sight, it consisted of 2 minute noodles, which I now realise forms the staple meal of these train journeys. Whilst not a totally uncomfortable trip, it certainly wasn’t luxurious being stuck on the train for such a long time. I may now reconsider my dream of undertaking the Trans-Siberian railway journey one day.

With 3 days travel and crossing 9 time zones, I was suffering badly from jet lag. In fact, I hardly remember much of the first week - I was a walking zombie. But after a week I started to get into it. I met a lot of Aussies on site. And ironically enough, a lot of them were from Perth. It was the most Perth people I have been around, well since I left Perth! I met a guy called Dean Finlayson who was at UWA same time as me, and we keep each other motivated and occupied on site.

The site is located near the sea-side, as it connects to an offshore facility 7 km from the coast. I took a trip down to the beach one day, and was very interesting to see a frozen ocean. You could do a JC move, and walk on water.

I also took a climb up the flare tower of the plant to get some good views. I thought I’d take the opportunity because once the plant is commissioned, there is no way you can get up there. Its not often one can climb a flare tower, they are usually producing an enormous flame, so I was keen to make the climb whilst I could. It really highlighted how isolated we were, as there is not another man made structure in sight. The nearest town Nogliki is about 180km away. The view was amazing. I could see the mountains on one side, the frozen ocean on the other, and forests all around. It reminded me how beautiful and natural this island is.

As for accommodation, I live in a caravan. If you’re like I was when I found out, I thought that was crap. I imagined it to be a cramped trailer with a wind up roof and fold out bed. But in fact it was an enormous RV camper from the States. Complete with a separate lounge room with TV, DVD and surround sound. I was happy with the choice, since it was a marked improvement over the dormitory style accommodation that is the norm on site.

As for wildlife, I’m always interested to “meet the locals”. I’ve seen many artic foxes, as they come into the camp in search of food. I’m still the see a bear (from a distance I hope!) but they should just be waking up from hibernation now so maybe next rotation I will spot one. There are majestic sea eagles nesting near the site, which I have yet to see, except from a distance – they are amazing birds with up to 2m wing span.

Well I write this as I travel back home to Netherlands. My first rotation up, and so far I am happy with the job and the site. The travel is tiring, but it gives me time to catch up on some reading and watch a few movies. I hope to have a busy month at home, decorating the apartment, seeing friends, and showing my mum around when she arrives end of May.

So I will have more to write about soon… including how I will get the L-shaped sofa I ordered up that damn staircase! Stay tuned for that adventure.

S

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow dude, thats a huge effort! Pretty amazing stuff. Kinda jealous in a way, its better than being stuck in a office in any city...

2:26 pm

 
Blogger Andrew and Christine said...

Steve
You stole my idea!
Gramps World Tour 2006/2007 Trinidad Edition

6:31 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home